The university is required by law to pay all non-exempt employees on an hourly basis, even though they have a standard schedule and normally work a standard number of hours. Non-exempt employees are required to clock in/out using the university’s Time Reporting System for both primary and secondary jobs. Clocking into the correct job is essential to being paid correctly.
Most departments have designated the telephone for time entry although a few departments do utilize PC time entry to collect the time worked, assuring that non-exempt employees are properly compensated for all hours worked in a timely manner.
See your department manager for the device you are to use for recording hours worked.
Phone Time Stamp Entry
Primary Job Clocking
- You must use a phone designated by your department. To access the Time Reporting System, dial 202-994-2274 (4-2274).
- The system will respond, "Please enter your employee number followed by the pound key".
- Enter the eight digits following the 'G' of your GWid number.
- The system will respond with the following menu options, enter the appropriate clock code.
- To record a time stamp press - 1
- To clock out for (All Jobs) - 1
- To do a labor account transfer (Secondary Job) press - 2
- To cancel a meal deduction press - 5
- To end the call press - 0
Secondary Job Clocking (Bi-weekly and Monthly paid employees with a secondary bi-weekly position)
- To record your arrival at your secondary job select menu option '2'. The system will respond "Enter your 6 digit Banner Org. followed by the # key" followed by "Enter your 8 digit position number followed by the # key". The voice prompt will provide the time. Enter 0 to end the call.
- When entering a secondary position that starts with a letter ‘A’ or ‘B’ change the letter to a number ‘7’. Example: If the position is A12345 enter in 712345 at the phone.
Viewing Your Timecard
Log into TRS using Single Sing-On. If you are not already signed into the Single Sign-On you will be prompted for your GW email address and password. Contact [email protected] if you experience issues.
In the workspace area click the View Timecard button.
The system will display your timecard for the current pay period. You may also choose to view prior pay periods.
Log-off when finished viewing your timecard.
PC Time Entry & Viewing Your Timecard
Log into TRS using Single Sing-On. If you are not already signed into the Single Sign-On you will be prompted for your GW email address and password. Contact [email protected] if you experiance issues.
In the Time Stamp workspace click the Record Time Stamp button.
The system records the current time and displays the recorded time near the top of the workspace.
You may now log off or view your timecard.
If you forget to clock in/out or make an error, it is your responsibility to notify your supervisor. The failure to timely notify your supervisor may cause your pay to be incorrect.
Who to contact with questions
TRS Administrator at 571-553-4277 or [email protected].
System rounds start and end of shift punches to the nearest quarter hour
Union employees should check with their collective bargaining agreement
The split occurs in the middle of each quarter hour
The system records and posts the exact punch to the timecard but uses the rounded punch for calculating the paid hours
Meal break start and shift punches do not round to the quarter hour to ensure a bona fide meal break
Clocking in/out shift example:
7:54 pays as 8:00 punch (rounds forward)
8:07 pays as 8:00 punch (rounds back)
8:08 pays as 8:15 punch (rounds forward)
8:53 to 9:07 pays 9:00
9:08 to 9:22 pays 9:15
9:23 to 9:37 pays to 9:30
9:38 to 9:52 pays to 9:45
- Direct Deposit
- Form W4 & State Tax Withholding
- Employee Self-Service
- Employment Eligibility Verification
- W-2 Form
- Time Reporting
- News and Announcements
2033 K Street, NW, Ste 750
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
Marvin Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052