GW offers a choice of voluntary vision plans through UnitedHealthcare (UHC).
When you use a UHC Vision provider (PDF) you generally pay less; however, the vision plans offer you the flexibility to see any provider you choose.
In-network, covered-in-full benefits (after applicable copay) include a comprehensive exam, eye glasses with standard single vision, lined bifocal or lined trifocal lenses, standard scratch-resistant coating and the frame, or contact lenses in lieu of eye glasses.
- The Vision Basic Plan vs. Medical Plan Vision Coverage (PDF) provides a comparison of the UHC Medical Plans (HSP and PPO) vision benefits with the UHC Voluntary Vision Plans.
- Review the chart comparing coverage for the UHC Basic and Enhanced Vision Plans (PDF), including contribution amounts, is available to help you in selecting the plan that is right for you.
The UHC Basic Vision plan includes a comprehensive eye examination, as well as eyeglasses (lenses (PDF) and frame), or contact lenses, after applicable copays. The plan gives you benefits for both exam and materials, with the lowest potential out of pocket expense. UnitedHealthcare (UHC) Vision Benefits Summary (PDF) provides a two-page overview of coverage, copays and expected savings. The UnitedHealthcare Basic Vision Certificate of Coverage (PDF) booklet provides an in-depth look at what your plan covers and how benefits are paid.
Enhanced Vision Plan
- Includes a comprehensive eye examination, and eyeglasses (lenses and frame), or contact lenses, after applicable copays.
- The plan gives you benefits for both exam and materials, with the lowest potential out of pocket expense.
- In addition to Basic Plan offerings, the Enhanced Vision Plan replaces frames every 12 months (vs 24 months with the Basic plan).
- The following additional lens options are covered in full:
- The copay for Elective Contacts in Lieu of Eye Glasses (out of network) is also slightly lower with the Enhanced Plan.
- Finally, the Enhanced Plan provides the option of up to six boxes (instead of four) of disposable contacts. The UnitedHealthcare Enhanced Vision Certificate of Coverage (PDF) booklet provides an in-depth look at what your plan covers and how benefits are paid.
Finding a provider is easy with the UHC online provider locator. UHC also provides a 24-hour, toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system at 1-800-839-3242 to locate the nearest provider.
When scheduling your appointment, simply let the provider know that you are a UnitedHealthcare Vision member – there are no ID cards to worry about, but you do have the option to print an ID card (PDF) if you prefer.
- Benefits Programs
- Health Benefits
- Time Off and Leave
- Retirement Benefits
- Tuition Benefits
- Life & Disability
- Group Legal Program
- Wellbeing and Discounts
- Postdoc Benefits
- Benefits Vendor Contact List
- Benefits Enrollment and Changes
- Commuter Benefits
- Annual Reports
- Benefits Events
- News and Announcements
- Benefits Advisory Committee
- Benefits Programs
2013 H Street, NW, 3rd Flr
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
University Student Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052