HR Information Systems
About HR Information Systems (HRIS)
The Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) team within Human Resources Management and Development works collaboratively to develop strategies, infrastructure, and processes that provide for the timely collection and dissemination of employee data and information, enhanced capacity for distributed reporting, and support of data-driven decision making related to human resources.
HRIS can assist with a wide variety of data management and administrative needs for medical residents, staff, non-student temporary and research employees and positions.
Our services and expertise include:
- Administers account provisioning for Ellucian Banner-HR, Applicant Tracking and Position Management System (PeopleAdmin7), Online Termination System (CIS), GWDocuments employee personnel cabinet, I-9 Management (TALX), the Enterprise Org Chart (SABA), Performance and Learning Management System (Talent @ GW) and the HR-DataMart
- Answers US Dept. of Labor Surveys
- Collects, analyzes, maintains, and reports employee data
- Generates GWID numbers for employees and maintains employee data records into the ERP system (SSN, citizenship status, etc.)
- Maintains the position budget form for all positions at GW which ties a budget to a position
- Oversees the employment eligibility process (I-9 & E-Verify)
- Processes employee life-cycle changes, reclassifications, equity adjustments, position refinements, and terminations
- Processes unemployment claims and employment verifications not handled by the Work Number
- Provides personnel files to current/former employees, upon request
- Supports transaction requests for Faculty Personnel, which includes creating benefited and non-benefited positions and updating reporting structure
Accessing Our Systems
There are a number of systems that are used for each transaction that is processed on a daily basis.
- Banner: This is the system of record for key employee and information, and is a frequently accessed database that maintains Human Resource and Payroll data (and, outside of HR, faculty and student data). Access to this system is limited, and is managed by Human Resource Management and Development. Banner security is organizationally/role based, and also drives the access to various HR system data elements. GW IT is available to provide training and support for Banner.
- To obtain new access or changes to an existing account for Banner Admin Pages as well as Banner Workflow, please submit a request directly to this link: https://go.gwu.edu/bannerform. Access provisioning includes data profiles, Banner Workflow roles, or access termination.
- Cognos ("DataMart"): Also known as GW DataMarts, COGNOS is a statistics repository and reporting tool for capturing GW enterprise data.
- Saba ("Org Chart Software"): Saba is an online enterprise organizational chart tool available to HR staff and Finance Directors (FDs), which provides visual depictions of the organizational structure at GW, in addition to position data, employee data, etc.
- PeopleAdmin (PA7): An online application that serves as the university's applicant tracking system and position management (i.e., position description repository and employee life cycle changes) system. This system is the mechanism for hiring regular staff and research staff positions (and also Librarian positions). Users include HRSD, Finance Directors (FDs), Compensation, HRIS, TAR, at various levels of access to provide review and approval for position descriptions and postings.
- GWEB Info System (Self-Service Portal): The GWEB info system (sometimes referred to as BanWeb) is a web based employee and student portal. Many employee based services, such as address changes, pay stub archives, tuition benefit applications, etc. are accessed through the GWEB info system. Access to the GWEB info system is through the myGW portal.
- Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF): The EPAF is a form frequently used by FDs to facilitate changes in a position’s Labor Distribution. Labor distributions are not the responsibility of HR, but HR SDs are often asked what the process is for Labor Distribution changes.
Accessing Our Forms
Employment Data Change
- Employee Data Questionnaire/BioDemo
- Employee Data Questionnaire/BioDemo form for Medical Residents
- Employee Data Change Form
System Access Form
- Banner Access Form
- Staff People Admin 7 Access Form
- Faculty/Librarian People Admin 7 Access Form
- Research People Admin 7 Access Form