Qualified Life Event - Marriage

Congratulations on your recent marriage! After getting married, you may need to update or change the following information.

Add your spouse to your health, dental and vision insurance:

  • Change your elections online via go.gwu.edu/enroll4benefits within 30 calendar days of your marriage date. A copy of a signed marriage certificate is required as supporting documentation. (If you are adding dependents to your health plan(s) documentation will also be required to verify eligibility.)
  • You can change the health, dental or vision plans in which you are enrolled.
  • Insurance premiums are not prorated. Regardless of the date of marriage, you are financially responsible for the entire month of insurance premiums. These may be retroactively deducted from future paychecks.

Enroll your spouse in life insurance:

  • You may enroll in your spouse/domestic partner or children in optional life insurance only if you also elect Optional Insurance for yourself. Dependent coverage is limited to 50% of the amount you elect for yourself with coverage up to your total basic and supplemental life insurance, in increments of $5,000 up to a maximum of $500,000 or 50 percent of your coverage (whichever is less). Benefits will provide information on how to complete an Eligibility of Insurance (EOI), or you can visit My Lincoln Portal to complete an EOI for your spouse online.
  • Change your life insurance beneficiaries through go.gwu.edu/enroll4benefits. You may also want to review and change your retirement beneficiaries through NetBenefits.

Effective date of changes:

If approved, changes made to your benefits due to marriage are effective the first of the month following the date that Benefits receives your supporting documentation - as long as it is received and your online changes are completed within 30 calendar days from the life event.

Change your personal information:

  • Update your home address in GWeb using the following instructions if you have moved.
  • If corrections are needed to your personal information (i.e. name, date of birth) please complete the Data Change Request Form and submit along with supporting documents to [email protected]

Update your beneficiary information:

  • Update your GW Retirement Savings plan beneficiary designation with your provider (Fidelity or TIAA)
  • Update your HSA beneficiary designation with PayFlex