Focus on Yourself Fridays
Human Resource Management and Development aims to create an environment in which all GW staff can achieve their career goals. To
that end, we encourage you to set aside time each week, with your manager's approval, to dedicate to professional development.
Fridays are a great day to reflect back on your experiences over the week and what areas you'd like to focus on for your growth, which is why we call it "Focus on Yourself Fridays," but this development can happen any day of the week. We encourage you to dedicate this time to opportunities such as training, webinars, reading, and LinkedIn Learning courses. Our Talent and Organizational Development (TOD) team will also offer regular Leaders at All Levels trainings you can take advantage of to help expand or deepen your skill set.
We recommend incorporating the following resources into your development time:
- LinkedIn Learning: Through GW, you have unlimited access to thousands of online training courses. Learn business, creative, and technology skills to achieve your personal and professional goals.
- GW Libraries and Academic Innovation offers a host of free workshops and events to any GWorld card holder on topics including workplace skills, data gathering and analysis, geographic information systems, programming, and design.
- Explore resources from the GW Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Through the EAP you can explore topics such as wellbeing, diversity and inclusion, manager skills, and more.
- Listen to a podcast or audiobook on a topic that you’re interested in, such as leadership, technology, or marketing. Bonus if you go for a walk while you do so! Podcasts are free through services such as Spotify or Apple Podcasts. Some recommendations from our TOD team are the Dare to Lead podcast by Brene Brown and the HBR Ideacast.
- Reach out to your HR Business Partner if you would like to learn more about your career path at GW.
- Watch for our monthly emails with links to timely resources and registration for our training sessions open to all staff.
- I don't have time to block off on a Friday to focus on development. What should I do?
Friday is just a suggestion! If your schedule does not permit you to set aside time on Fridays, we encourage you to dedicate time on another day of the week. In our monthly newsletter we will be offering opportunities that you can engage with whenever it is convenient for you, such as podcasts, articles, webinars, and more.
- I don't work on Fridays. How do I participate?
We encourage you to find another day of the week where you dedicate time on your professional development. Remember to work with your manager to ensure you choose a time that works for the needs of your team.
- Why is professional development important?
Investing in your professional development is key to success, growth, and engagement. Through this initiative, we will be offering resources and ideas to help you grow your career at GW.
- Some of the suggested ideas don't apply to me.
If some suggested professional development ideas do not apply to you and your role, then we encourage you to check out the ones that do, and to spend some of your professional development time researching professional development ideas that do apply. Your manager is also a great resource to consult for ideas that apply to your role.
- I'm not sure where to start.
Complete a personal development worksheet. Use the worksheet to identify goals and learning activities to complete your goals.