In response to feedback from our community members, we will again be temporarily enhancing our Annual Time Carryover Policy for full-time and part-time benefits-eligible staff. Please refer to the FAQs and Caring For You During COVID-19 page for details.
Your time away from work is supported by a variety of paid time off programs outlined in the Time Off and Leave Guide, including:
- Annual Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Parental Leave
- Jury and Witness Duty
- Holidays - please review the university holiday schedule for further details.
*The Leave to Vote Amendment Act of 2020, which took effect on October 1, 2020, gives all District employees the right to at least two hours of paid leave off to vote.
The Time Off and Leave Guide (PDF) provides details on paid time off and leave of absence programs, including eligibility, accrual rates, manager tips and more.
Faculty should contact the Office of Faculty Affairs and Medical Residents should contact the Office of Graduate Medical Education for additional programs.
Information regarding Weather Flex and University Closing Leave
In the event that the university announces an "Open with Weather Flex" operating status or a university closure, any submitted and approved time off requests (e.g., annual time, sick time, bereavement, jury duty, etc.), will take precedence. The approved hours in the Time Reporting System (TRS) will be deducted from the employee's respective paid time off balance and should not be changed to Weather Flex (WFX) or University Closing Leave (UCL).
All eligible employees* use the Time Reporting System (TRS) to request and manage their paid time off.
To help you navigate the system and accurately manage your time in the system, we recommend that you reference the Employee and Manager Resources section below.
*GW Police Department employees covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement and medical residents, please continue to use your departmental time off tracking system.
Note: Employees who have timekeeping or time off processing access in the TRS will be able to see their own time off requests but should not approve them. Their manager or their manager’s delegate should approve those requests.
- Kronos 101 (PDF)
- Processing Your Employees' Time Off Requests (PDF)
- Preventing Negative Annual Time Balances (PDF)
- Submitting Paid Time Off Requests (PDF)
- Cancelling Approved Time Off Requests (PDF)
- Checking Your Time Off Balances (PDF)
- Checking Your Employees' Time Off Balances (PDF)
- Submitting Weather Flex (PDF)
- Submitting Pandemic Time (PDF)
- Importance of Submitting Unpaid Time (PDF)
- Editing Holiday Hours (PDF)
- How to Delegate in Kronos (PDF)
- Kronos Notification Email Forwarding (PDF)
- Benefits Programs
- Benefits Enrollment and Changes
- Commuter Benefits
- Annual Open Enrollment
- Annual Reports and Forms
- Benefits Events
- News and Announcements
- Benefits Advisory Committee
2033 K Street, NW, Ste 750
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
Marvin Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052