Supporting Documentation Deadlines
Review the deadlines below and acceptable supporting documention to make benefits changes when you experience a Qualified Life Event.
Instructions for each Qualified Life Event type is noted below.
Resources for Faculty and Staff:
*On the Go? Download the mobile app, enter our company code GWbenefitscenter, along with your GWID and password (date of birth in MMDDYYYY format) and take your GW benefits with you wherever you go.
30 calendar days: The period of time new hires, and employees who switch to a benefits-eligible status, have to enroll in benefits.
- 30 calendar days from the event: The period of time employees have to make changes if they experienced a qualifying life event (as defined by the IRS, such as marriage, losing coverage under a spouse, etc.)
- 60 calendar days: The period of time employees have to make benefits changes for a birth or adoption life event.
In order to cover your family members, GW needs to verify dependent eligibility. Dependent coverage is pending until documentation is received and verified.
Once the transition period is complete, you may upload documentation directly into the system during the benefits election process. During the transistion period, you may submit supporting documentation by mail, fax or email.
If you are adding a dependent to your coverage, you must provide the following documentation to complete enrollment:
- Spouse – marriage certificate or a copy of last year’s tax returns
- Child – birth certificate or other proof of birth
- Common-Law Marriage Partner – Declaration of Common-Law Form
- Domestic Partner – Declaration of Domestic Partnership form (including three supporting documents); Or, you may submit a government issued Certificate of Domestic Partnership.
Step 1: Log in to go.gwu.edu/enroll4benefits and enter your Qualified Life Event. The system has single sign-on capability when logging on from a GW-provided computer.
Step 2: Gather supporting documentation of the life event.
Step 3: Upload your supporting documentation directly to the GW Benefits Enrollment System site during the benefit election process. You may also send all supporting documentation to Benefits via fax (571) 553-8385 or email: [email protected].
Benefit changes must be consistent with your life event. For example, if you have a baby, you may add the baby to your medical coverage. You cannot, however, drop dental coverage for other family members at this time.
Select the qualified life event you have recently experienced to understand the steps you need to take to make benefits changes.
2013 H Street, NW, 3rd Flr
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
University Student Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052