I am pleased you chose the George Washington University as part of your career journey. Located in the heart of Washington, DC, our university offers a unique experience. Our mission and strategic initiatives guide our work and contribute to our sense of community.
During your time at GW, I hope you see and explore ways to contribute to the university community and create warm and welcoming environment for all. As a new member of our GW community, strive to foster and maintain a commitment to service, engagement, belonging, and respect in your everyday interactions. Your contributions to our community -- our students, faculty, alumni, parents, staff, neighbors, and others we serve -- enhance our institution as a whole. We are “Proud to be GW,” and the combined efforts of each individual make our university a great place to learn, live, and work.
Dale A. McLeod
Interim Vice President for Human Resources
New Employee Orientation
GW’s New Employee Orientation is an introduction to the university community and the many resources available to its employees. The session addresses key questions as you begin your role and includes a welcome video from President LeBlanc, a True Colors engagement activity, and insight into what it means to "Raise High" at GW. Time and support are provided for new employees to complete procedures necessary to begin work and access university accounts and resources.
New employees are typically scheduled for orientation on the first Monday of their employment. Please review your offer letter to find the date and time for which you are scheduled. Orientation begins at 9:00am. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. All new employees are dismissed for the day at the end of the session.
Please refer to your offer letter for the date of your orientation.
|Date & Time||Address||Building & Room #|
|800 21st St. NW
|Marvin Center 310|
800 21st St. NW
Marvin Center 310
July 2, 2018
800 21st St. NW
Marvin Center 310
Learn about requirements and recommendations to be prepared for your first day at your new position.
Visit the Benefits website to learn about health, retirement, and other benefits available to GW employees.
Learn about the resources available to you as you begin your new role.
GW is committed to offering you a comprehensive benefits package at a competitive cost. Information about the many benefits GW offers is covered in a webinar for new employees on the Wednesday following their orientation. In addition, information on health and welfare benefits as well as tuition and retirement benefits can be found on the Benefits website.
- Your Life at GW – GW's Work-Life program provides a range of perks, activities, and resources in support of the GW Values through a focus on personal and family life, healthy living, financial wellness, work fulfillment, and community building programs for all employees. Join the email list to get connected to information about free tickets, special events, and other activities for employees and their families!
- GW’s Libraries – As an employee, you have access to GW's library system, which includes libraries that serve all three campuses. They offer students and faculty members access to thousands of scholarly journals, reference books, international literature old and new, maps, photographs, history tomes and much more. Special collections feature unique literature and first-hand history not found elsewhere.
- Cultural events – Check out the galleries, athletic events, performances, lectures and special events that are available on and around campus.
- Health & Wellness Center – Located at the corner of 23rd and G Streets, the 189,000 square foot Lerner Health & Wellness Center is available for use by current George Washington University faculty, staff and students. There may be a fee for your membership.
- GW Bookstore – Show your GWorld card to receive a 10% discount on selected items at the GW Bookstore, including official GW merchandise.
- Holidays – Check the calendar to see which dates are holidays at GW.
- Employee Leave – GW offers a variety of leave programs to employees, including annual leave, sick leave, personal leave, and others.
- Transportation – Learn about the options available to employees:
GW is committed to helping you pursue excellence by providing you with the tools and resources necessary to reach your full potential. The Career Path Program is designed to be your personal roadmap to career progression at GW. Career Path allows you to find the GW position you aspire to and to map out a path to reach your goals. Rather than confining your goals to your current school or division, this program makes it easy to find and compare similar job opportunities throughout the university.
- Familiarize yourself with GW’s career philosophy.
- Use the Career Path Program to explore the positions that align with your career goals.
- Sharpen your skills by taking advantage of the developmental resources available to you.
- Utilize GW’s performance management process to create and refine your professional development plan.
Rice Hall, Suite 101
2121 Eye Street NW
Washington, DC 20052