During your first weeks as a university employee, you will experience opportunities and benefits of our diverse community. Your colleagues across the university are here to support you during your first weeks and throughout your GW career. Wherever you find yourself working across GW’s campuses, our community will welcome you to our team of innovative and dynamic individuals. We hope you will take advantage of the many possibilities for learning, service, and inspiration that GW provides.
Important Deadlines and Requirements:
- Call Health Advocate to help you select the right medical plan for you and your family.
- Finalize your benefits enrollments (overview). The Benefits and Payroll overview webinar, typically scheduled on the first Wednesday of your employment, has information on your enrollment options. You must enroll in a health care plan within your first 30 days of employment or you will need to wait until the open enrollment period, typically in October, to sign up for coverage if you wish to do so.
- Schedule time to take the Preventing Workplace Harassment online module. You will receive an email notification with the link to the module shortly after your first day.
Connect with Your Department:
- Meet with your manager regularly (formally or informally) to initiate coaching and performance feedback
- Establish priorities and performance expectations with your manager.
- Learn about your new job. You will be introduced to a variety of people, processes, and systems, as well as a new environment and culture. Suggestions to help you begin making an immediate contribution to your role include:
- Meet your new coworkers and other people in groups or departments you'll be interacting with on a regular basis. If you've been hired into a managerial position, hold meetings with your staff to gain a sense of current priorities, projects, and issues.
- Review your school or department within the university organizational chart.
- Learn about the performance management process during your Introductory Employment Period (IEP) and how your start date relates to your merit eligiblity during the annual performance review process.
Get to Know GW:
2033 K Street, NW, Ste 210
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
Marvin Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052