- The W-2 form, Wage and Tax Statement, is provided by the university and issued by Payroll Services each year. It is used to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld. Employees are responsible for maintaining their W-4 address. Use these W4 Address Update Instructions (PDF) for payroll and benefit purposes.
- Accessing your Form W-2 electronically is secure and keeps your personal information from being sent via regular postal mail. In order to receive an electronic Form W-2, you must provide consent via GWeb Information using these Consent for Electronic Form W-2 Instructions (PDF). If you have provided consent in a previous year, you do not need to consent again.
- Use the Accessing Form W-2 Instructions to obtain your W-2 from GWeb.
- Request for Duplicate W-2 Form (PDF) are available on GWeb for current and former employees. Email the completed form to [email protected].
- You can find Instructions for your Form W-2 here (usually found on the back of the paper W-2).
W-2 forms for the current year plus the previous 5 years are available for you to view and print as needed.
FAQs for Form W-2
Why is my salary not the amount in Box 1?
Box 1 shows your TAXABLE wages for the year. Please remember that this amount is affected by both pre-tax deductions and non-cash taxable income.
How is the amount in Box 1 calculated?
To see how the amount in Box1 is calculated, please see the information below. You can use your last pay stub to get this information and plug in those amounts
Gross Salary for the year:
ADD non-cash taxable income:
(Tuition, Insurance over 50k, Taxable moving expenses, etc.)
DEDUCT pre-tax deductions:
(Health benefits, Retirement, Transportation, Parking)
NOTE: Retirement deductions for Roth 403(b) are not pre-tax
Total should be the amount in Box 1:
If this does give you the same amount as in Box 1, there may have been adjustments made to your taxable income. Please contact us if you are not aware of what adjustment may have been made.
Why is the amount different in Box 1 and Box 3?
Pre-tax retirement deductions reduce the amount in Box 1 but not Box 3/5.
What do the codes in Box 12 mean?
- C – Taxable costs of group term life insurance over $50,000
- E – Elective Deferrals for 403(b)
- G – Elective Deferrals and Employer Contributions to 457(b)
- M – Uncollected Social Security tax on taxable cost of group term life insurance over $50,000
- N – Uncollected Medicare tax on the taxable cost of group term life insurance over $50,000
- W – Employer Contributions and employee contributions to the Health Savings Plan (HSA)
- BB – Roth contributions under a 403(b) plan
- DD – Cost of employer sponsored health coverage
I’m having trouble printing my W2
Trying a different browser usually corrects this problem. Chrome seems to work best. If you still have a problem printing, Contact Us to mail you a paper copy in the mail.
There is a link above the W2 that shows the instructions on the back of the form if you would need additional information.
Why can’t I see my full Social Security Number on the W2?
Your full Social Security number will appear on the W2 when you print it.
What if I owe money when I file my this year and next year tax return and I want to adjust my taxes?
For help with determining your federal withholding, go to the IRS withholding calculator.
2033 K Street, NW, Ste 750
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
University Student Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052