- If you do not have a SmarTrip card and this is your first time enrolling in the program you can receive one free card from Payroll Services. Email [email protected], and a card will be sent to you in the mail.
- When the decision is made to reopen campus, SmarTrip cards will be distributed at Faculty & Staff Service Center (FSSC) or in Payroll Services at Research Place on the VSTC. You may also use one you presently own or purchase one directly from a Metro station or the WMATA website.
- Before you can enroll in SmartBenefits, your SmarTrip card MUST be registered in your name. The process requires you to create an online account and then add the card to your account. It only takes a few minutes to register your SmarTrip card online.
- Use your SmarTrip card immediately by adding money to your card at any Metro fare card machine or the WMATA website.
Enroll in SmartBenefits and Make Changes
- To enroll in SmartBenefits, you can login to your WMATA account, click Join SmartBenefits, and use the organization code W4Ru5E6y, or you can complete the Smartrip Enrollment/Change form (PDF) and email it to [email protected]. View this Smart Benefits Brochure for additional information.
- To make a change to your monthly amount or benefit category, login to WMATA and follow the Instructions to login to SmartBenefits Dashboard(PDF) or complete a new Enrollment/Change form. You may enroll, change, or terminate the benefit any time during the year following participation deadlines.
- Monthly paid employees - New enrollments, changes or terminations must be received by the 10th of the month in order for the benefit to be available the first day of the following month.
- Bi-Weekly paid employees - New enrollments, changes or terminations must be received two weeks prior to the first pay of the month in which the deduction is effective. The deductions are only taken the first two pay periods of a month and are available the first day of the following month. Bi-weekly paid employees may not terminate their benefits after the first deduction of the month has been processed.
- You can follow the Instructions to login to SmartBenefits Dashboard(PDF) to View and Manage Benefits, and you will see when your selections will be effective.
Non-Benefit Eligible Employees
- The SmartBenefits program has been expanded to include part-time, student and temporary employees who are otherwise not eligible for benefits. The participation and form submission guidelines are the same as those for benefited employees, however the funding schedule differs.
- New enrollments, deduction changes and termination requests for monthly paid non-benefit eligible employees must be received by the 10th of the month in order for the benefit to be available on the first day of the second month. Bi-weekly paid non-benefit eligible employees must submit their enrollment, change or termination forms no later than two weeks prior to the first pay of the month in order for the benefit to be available on the first day of the second month.
- Deductions taken in the month of January for both monthly and bi-weekly paid employees will be available for use on March 1.
Reassignments (Transferring funds from old card to the new)
- Employees can login to their WMATA account and use the self-service option to reassign the SmartBenefits (PDF). Both your stored value and any remaining SmartBenefits will be transferred to your replacement card.
- Allocations: If you allocate benefits to third-parties to purchase MARC, VRE or MTA Commuter Bus passes, or use a vanpool or MetroAccess, then WMATA will send you an email with important instructions on how to maintain your allocation.
- PASSES: Unused transit pass benefits will be automatically transferred to your replacement card’s Smartrip Online account. However, if you are due a refund for a lost pass purchased with transit pass benefits, then you must contact your Smartrip Administrator by emailing [email protected] to manually reassign the refund to your replacement card.
2033 K Street, NW, Ste 750
Washington, DC 20006
Faculty & Staff Service Center
Marvin Center, Ste 242
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052