Consultative Services

The GW Office of Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action (EEO) provides a variety of consultative services to university staff. We are available to assist you with situations that involve allegations of unfair treatment, sexual harassment, discrimination, affirmative action or other issues that involve fairness, as well as disability and religious accommodations.

Consultative assistance is provided to staff through on-site visits, telephone support, publications, educational outreach, mediation and referral.

Resolve Faculty and Staff Requests for Reasonable Accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act for Employment Matters

EEO is responsible for administering and coordinating the university's compliance with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA). These Acts prohibit employers from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities. A qualified individual with a disability is a person who, with or without a reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job. 

All GW employees, both faculty and staff, may contact EEO to request the form needed to apply for a reasonable accommodation of a disability either by email at, by phone at 202-994-9656, or by fax at 202-994-9658. Once the completed request form is returned by the employee, EEO will then determine whether the employee is a qualified individual with a disability and, if so, work with the department and the employee to identify any reasonable accommodation for the disability to enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job.

Resolve Staff Requests for Religious Accommodations

Sometimes individuals hold religious beliefs or conduct religious practices that conflict with their work schedules or assigned responsibilities. EEO will review requests and assist in providing a reasonable accommodation due to bona fide religious beliefs and practices of such individuals if doing so does not impose an undue hardship on the employee's department. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation based on your religious beliefs, you should contact EEO.

Resolve Staff Internal Discrimination Complaints (more info)

Non-faculty staff should be directed to EEO if the employee feels that (s)he has experienced discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, educational matriculation, retaliation or gender identity or expression. The employee can file a grievance, and EEO will work with the employee and the department to attempt a resolution of the matter.

Respond to External Administrative Agency Complaints Filed by Staff

When an employee files a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the D.C. Office of Human Rights, or any other agency that enforces employment discrimination laws, EEO will respond to the complaint on behalf of the university. External administrative complaints received by an individual office should be forwarded to EEO.

Write the university’s Affirmative Action Plan for Faculty and Staff

EEO is responsible for developing the Affirmative Action Plan for staff and faculty in DC, Maryland and Virginia. For more information on the Affirmative Action Program for minorities and women and for individuals with disabilities and veterans, please contact the EEO office at 202-994-9656.

Implement Staff Training Programs on EEO, Affirmative Action, Sexual Harassment, Diversity and Disability Issues (more info)

EEO conducts training programs on equal employment opportunity laws, affirmative action obligations, sexual harassment, diversity and disability issues through a recurring training program. EEO also offers training through Workplace Learning & Development.